- Honorable Mention, NSF Graduate Student Fellowships Program (GRFP), 2021
- Phi Beta Kappa & High Distinction in General Scholarship, UC Berkeley, 2017.
- Teaching Assistant, Sept. 2021 - Current
- UC Santa Cruz, Statistics Department
- Research Data Analyst II, Oct. 2020—Jun, 2021.
- CA. Dept. of Healthcare Services, Local Government Financing
- Staff Research Associate, Oct. 2019—Jul. 2020.
- Dept. of Atmospheric Chemistry, UC Davis
- Data Science Intern, Aug. 2019-Nov. 2019.
- New Sun Road, P.B.C.
- Quantitative Analyst, Apr. 2019-Feb. 2017.
- Intersect Power
Additional Internship experiences at SunPower Corporation and WattTime.org
- PhD Student in Statistics, 2021—Current
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- B.A. Statistics, High Honors, 2013-2017
- University of California, Berkeley
I’m always changing but people often describe me as energetic, funny, and open. I love traveling, cooking, sports, gardening, and spending time with my girlfriend Laura. I try to value experiences more than stuff. I’m also blessed to have many friends and a loving family.
Insight Meditation practice & philosophy has and continues to change my life for the better.
A Few Highlights
I was born in Tokyo, Japan. My mom was born here while my grandpa was at CalTech 1. This is why my mom and I are both dual-citizens2. Balancing my Japanese roots with my American upbringing was challenging but rewarding.
Grew up in Hawaii. Hawai’i is a gentle, beautiful place. So lucky to have grown up there.
Moved to Northern California in 2008. I went to a Waldorf High School in Sacramento, which is artsy/hippy school. I love Sacramento.
East Bay. As an undergrad at Berkeley, I was mostly interested in clean energy (stats was secondary). During and after college, I worked for a major solar energy developer.
A trip of a lifetime. In 2019, let go from what I thought was my dream job. I went on a life altering trip to SE Asia. I caught and still have a serious case of the travel bug. I met Laura when I came back to Oakland, the greatest thing that has ever happened to me.
Back in Sacramento. I moved back right before the pandemic. I worked at the State Government which made me believe in the importance of people with technical skills contributing in civil service.
Now: Splitting my time between Santa Cruz and Sacramento while I go to grad school. I play softball, bike around, and garden on my spare time.
Here are some of my awesome friends (with Personal/Professional Websites):
- Kunal Marwaha
- Seokjun Choi
- Antonio (Jose Antonio Aguirre Perez De Leon)
- Clairce Cho
- Gautam Machiraju
Updated: Oct. 2022